Tuesday, December 1, 2015

What it Takes to be Greek


   Growing up and watching shows like a Different World, showed me how the Greek life seemed extremely fun with little responsibilities. It wasn’t until my senior year when I went on a tour of Howard University and just so happened to be there during a probate. Once again, everything seemed like fun and games. 
   When I decided to write an article about Greek life, that’s when I learned about everything else that comes with earning Greek letters and being a part of this community. I talked to several people who attends Michigan State, who graduated from MSU and even others who are in the Greek community with no affiliation to MSU. This taught me that they had to work hard to join this community and once they were a part of this community, they still work hard as a member. 
   Alumna Sylvia Thomas said that she learned a lot about herself during the pledge process and learned to be a leader that didn’t leave anyone behind. Even student Kyle Kirkland said that becoming Greek taught him to be less selfish because he had to look out for more people instead of just himself. 
   Now I know that it takes more than a pretty face and a friend connection to become apart of the Greek community, it actually takes hard work and dedication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment